God’s been teaching me to fly by the seat of my pants over the last several months. I’m learning this isn’t just for a season – it’s something I’m adopting as a lifestyle. If you know me at all, you know flying by the seat of my pants is not second nature to me. I’ve realized that for me, it all boils down to trust. Who am I going to trust? Will I trust my well-thought-out plans? Or will I trust God who knows all, who is I AM, and who thrives in the interruptions of life? I’ve made up my mind. This is my decision. I’m moving forward free and unfettered as He’s asking me to do, living carefree in the care of God, trusting Him, my one and only constant. Why? Because He's Worthy! Will you join me in this wild and exhuberating journey?

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Journey to Cali: Part One

I’ve been caught up in whirlwind of transition these past few months and it’s hard to believe I’m finally in Redding. The day I loaded up on my earthly belongings in Fort Wayne was bittersweet. I was surrounded by friends and family I loved which made it sweet. The bitter part sunk in right before I left town. I had been praying that the Lord would help me to grieve well ever since I knew I would be leaving people and places I dearly love. He was so faithful to help me do that over the few months I was preparing to go. But I had one final ugly cry (seriously!) right before leaving Fort Wayne. I must have needed it because there certainly was no stopping it!
The week that followed encompassed time finalizing a few details but mostly resting before my long journey out west. I was so thankful to have about six days in Bloomington to become acquainted with my future home (God willing) and relax. While I was there the Lord really spoke to me as I was reading Ezra one day. I sensed the Lord saying it was important for me to have my trip out West covered in prayer. I was aware of this but it seemed like God was hi-lighting the importance even more when I was reading about Ezra’s journey to Jerusalem and how he called together those who were going on the journey with him to pray and fast. They spent a concentrated time in prayer about their journey before they left and we see in verses 23 and 31 of chapter 8 that the gracious hand of God protected them and saved them from enemies and bandits along the way.
I found it quite interesting that Ezra felt he would be abandoning God if he asked for the King’s soldiers to accompany them on their journey because they had told the king, “Our God protects all those who worship him, but his fierce anger rages against those who abandon him.” So he earnestly prayed to the Lord, and He heard Ezra’s prayer. This was similar to my own journey to California in that I’ve had several people mention that I should have someone accompany me on the trip. But all along I’ve had a deep sense that my only traveling partner for this journey should be Jesus. I felt it important to only rely on Him. But before I embarked on the journey, I also knew it would be important to have a time or earnest prayer and request the same from my family and friends who are journeying with me on this new adventure via satellite through their prayers, encouragement and support. I did so – and let me tell you – I believe it made all the difference. I can say that God did the same for me as He did for Ezra and his people – “the gracious hand of God protected us (me) and saved us (me) from enemies and bandits along the way.”  And really He did so much more than that! Praise God for answered prayer – and for friends and family who are willing to cover me in prayer on this exciting new journey! I’m excited to tell you about it! I’m so grateful for this testimony of God’s protection and lavishing of beautiful gifts along the journey.
After spending some time in Bloomington, I spent a few more days resting at my parent’s home. We ate like we were celebrating a holiday every day! Perhaps we were trying to squeeze in every holiday we could since I’ll not be back home for most of the year. It was a wonderful time, and just what I needed before my 38 hour trip out west. I particularly enjoyed the flowers in my parent’s gardens. So when it was time to leave, I was rested and had one loaded car! My next stop was Kansas City, MO to spend time with my friend Ericka Smiley and soak at the International House of Prayer. But I’ll leave that story for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment