God’s been teaching me to fly by the seat of my pants over the last several months. I’m learning this isn’t just for a season – it’s something I’m adopting as a lifestyle. If you know me at all, you know flying by the seat of my pants is not second nature to me. I’ve realized that for me, it all boils down to trust. Who am I going to trust? Will I trust my well-thought-out plans? Or will I trust God who knows all, who is I AM, and who thrives in the interruptions of life? I’ve made up my mind. This is my decision. I’m moving forward free and unfettered as He’s asking me to do, living carefree in the care of God, trusting Him, my one and only constant. Why? Because He's Worthy! Will you join me in this wild and exhuberating journey?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Journey To Cali: Part Four

I can’t even begin to express to you how thankful I am that I planned two days of pure rest into my journey to California. It was so wonderful to sleep in on my second day of scheduled rest. Laura was a lovely host, and pointed me to one of her and Joel’s favorite hiking spots called Vedauwoo.


It’s a popular place for rock climbing and hiking as there’s a compilation of huge rocks that literally look like a mountain (yes - the rocks are that big as you can see above) and a lovely trail the loops around it called Turtle Trail. I thought that was appropriate since I had such a fascination with turtles while growing up.


The hike was quite refreshing after sitting in a car for over twelve hours the previous day. One of my favorite things to do is spend time in nature enjoying God’s creation and marveling at how magnificent God is. After driving across the USA, I understand God’s diversity in His creations at a whole new level. And all of it is so beautiful!
As I was awe struck by the rock formations surrounding me, I thought of what it would be like if all the rocks cried out as scripture mentions in Luke 19. The praises coming from these rocks would be quite loud and rambunctious because they’re so big! Verse 37 of Luke 19 says, “When he (Jesus) came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen.”  I think I can understand their sentiment and am anticipating joyfully praising God at the top of my lungs this year as I continue to see my God of Love do miracles for His glory and the good of His children.

I also thought of the Lord being my Rock, my fortress, my tower of safety as I marched around this mighty rock formation. As I was reading my Bible shortly after the hike, I especially took note of Psalm 61: 3 & 4 as it captured all that was welling up in my soul earlier. It says, “Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings!” This is exactly what the Lord has done for me. What a precious gift! And it’s available for everyone – that excites me even more!

My only disappointment for the day quickly turned into a funny thing later when I was sharing it with Laura. At one point I decided to remove my sunglasses and hang them on my shirt since the path had turned shady. It wasn’t until near the end that I realized at some point they had slipped out of my shirt and fell. I was shocked because I hadn’t even heard them drop on the ground! I was so enraptured by the beauty of my surroundings it didn’t even phase me when they fell. I was sorely disappointed when I first realized I had lost them because these were no ordinary sunglasses. I had purchased them specifically for my season in California. While they were a bargain price, they still had a little bling, bling on the sides which made them perfect for my time in Cali. I was quite humored by Laura’s response when I told her what had happened. She mentioned that there would be one happy chipmunk with a new toy. As she said that I immediately got this image of a chipmunk running around the forest wearing my sunglasses. That one gave me a good belly laugh and somehow made the loss a little more manageable. I’ve since replaced them with a new pair. There’s no bling, bling on these but the price was right and they will certainly do the job!

I ended my afternoon of adventure at the perfect little place, Coal Creek Coffee Shop, and indulged in the best deli sandwich I have ever tasted – smoked turkey pesto - accompanied by a creamy caramel latte. Yum! Heaven knows I was hungry after that hefty hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment