God’s been teaching me to fly by the seat of my pants over the last several months. I’m learning this isn’t just for a season – it’s something I’m adopting as a lifestyle. If you know me at all, you know flying by the seat of my pants is not second nature to me. I’ve realized that for me, it all boils down to trust. Who am I going to trust? Will I trust my well-thought-out plans? Or will I trust God who knows all, who is I AM, and who thrives in the interruptions of life? I’ve made up my mind. This is my decision. I’m moving forward free and unfettered as He’s asking me to do, living carefree in the care of God, trusting Him, my one and only constant. Why? Because He's Worthy! Will you join me in this wild and exhuberating journey?

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Journey To Cali: Part Five

I do believe it’s way past time to bring this little series home! I’ve been a little side tracked with this thing called homework. But today, I’m determined to wrap up this little journey for you!
My next stop after Laramie was Elko, NV. There’s really not much in Elko – but it did have a few hotels and it was a good stopping point especially considering there was a pool and hot tub waiting for me at my chosen hotel. There’s really no way I can tell you every detail of this day trip – so I’m choosing to hi-light three points of interest.
1)      While at a rest stop I realized it was a part of Bear River State Park. As I looked around I saw this – and it made me laugh!


2)      The whole journey to Cali held beauty but I found that my vote for most regal mountains were the ones surrounding Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any pictures of them. The mountains around Tahoe Lake rank right up there with the Salt Lake City Mountains for splendor. It’s a tie in my book.
3)      After passing through Salt Lake City I entered into the Salt Flats.  This stretch looked like white beach sand with desert shrubs sprinkled throughout. It’s pretty much a dessert and there’s not much on this stretch of I-80 except for this random abstract artistic sculpture called Metaphor: Tree of Life. There are no restrooms or amenities nearby, not even an exit to see this piece of artwork. The only thing you can do is stop, read the plaque that’s there, and snap a few pictures – although it’s technically illegal to do so! It wins the most random thing I saw award.

My final day on the road encompassed a little respite at Lake Tahoe! But before I excited Neveda, I got another good laugh from this little sign outside a restroom at arrest stop.
I’m guessing they’ve had issues with people bathing at the rest stop although it’s beyond my imagination as to how someone would bathe very successfully let alone want to in such a public area where the only amenities are a sink and a toilet. Hmm. Anyway take the sign out of context and it sounds like a ridiculous statement – one that gave me a good little laugh.
Lake Tahoe was gorgeous. Snow capped mountains peppered with evergreen trees encompassed the lake. The water was crystal clear albeit cold. The temperature was 75 degrees and sunny – I couldn’t have picked better weather for my visit. I only had a couple hours to enjoy the lake so I quickly ate some lunch and then parked myself at the end of a pier to just soak in the beautiful view. I’d love to go back someday when I have ample time and experience more.
I entered one of the most beautiful drives of my whole journey when I got on Route 20 North. This route entailed winding roads going up and down and around the mountains. If I was to get car sick – this is the place I would have done so. Thankfully my prayers and the prayers of many of you were answered as I was able to drive easily through this area without getting dizzy and/or nauseous. Both sides of the road were lined with pine trees for many miles. The trees were so tall, so regal looking, and so evenly lined up along the road that I felt like I was in one of those sword tunnels for royalty. It was as if I – the daughter of the King – was being welcomed to my new home. It’s a precious memory and one I won’t soon forget.
A snow covered Mount Shasta was my focal point upon my arrival to Redding. I arrived at sunset and was amazed at all the beautiful mountains surrounding the city. This photo isn't one I took upon my arrival, but it is one of the sunset in my neighborhood and will give you a good idea of the beauty that surrounds me daily.

In addition, I was shocked to see all the blooming bushes around. It looked like spring to me! I was assured by Sarah that spring is even more stunning – looking forward to that.
I was received with a very warm welcome from Sharon and Sarah that included a warm dinner! Joy continued to bubble up in my soul as I was introduced to my new home and quickly saw that it was better than I could have ever imagined. I felt at home in my new room immediately and am so thankful for that. I've really been blessed beyond measure here.
The next morning I woke up and read this from Sarah Young’s devotional, Jesus Calling. It's written from the perspective of Jesus.
“In closeness to Me, you are safe. In the intimacy of My Presence, you are energized. No matter where you are in the world, you know you belong when you sense My nearness.”
Could that devo have not been more appropriate for my first day in my new home? I think not. It’s so true too and a good thing to keep at the forefront of our hearts and minds in this culture where moving is the norm. For now, my new place has become home sweet home. I do feel a sense of belonging and that is a result of sensing God’s Presence - which happens to be very thick in this land flowing with milk and honey. I’m living it up, soaking in every moment because I know how fast time flies when you’re having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment