God’s been teaching me to fly by the seat of my pants over the last several months. I’m learning this isn’t just for a season – it’s something I’m adopting as a lifestyle. If you know me at all, you know flying by the seat of my pants is not second nature to me. I’ve realized that for me, it all boils down to trust. Who am I going to trust? Will I trust my well-thought-out plans? Or will I trust God who knows all, who is I AM, and who thrives in the interruptions of life? I’ve made up my mind. This is my decision. I’m moving forward free and unfettered as He’s asking me to do, living carefree in the care of God, trusting Him, my one and only constant. Why? Because He's Worthy! Will you join me in this wild and exhuberating journey?

Friday, August 26, 2011

An Ode to the Sisterhood

Upon my arrival in the big city of Fort Wayne
I had a deep ache to find community and quickly!
You see I had no family or friends nearby
And as you can imagine, I was very lonely.

I was delighted to find girls of similar plight
at my new church home, FMC.
We decided to gather on neutral ground
In a meeting room at our new church
on a cold wintery Sunday morning.

I remember that day quite vividly.
Although this exact meeting date
remains elusive to us all.
We went around the room answering
Those oh familiar “getting to know you” questions.
Where did you grow up?
Where did you go to school?
What are you doing now?
How did you come to know Jesus?
Why do you want to be a part of a small group?

We must have liked what we heard
And found similar interests because
It wasn’t before long that we met again
And began the journey toward building
our own little community.

Our days together are ones
I’ll always hold dear to my heart.
Who can forget our tendencies to have
The uncontrollable giggles at the most
Inopportune times?
Like the late night we got busted by the
Angola State Park ranger?
You’d think we were a bunch of jr. high girls
All stuffed in a tent during a weekend camping trip.
And how about the time our laughter
Rippled through the air during
The very serious wedding toast
 to Steve and Michelle Ziegler?


It’s too bad the only time we thought
To pull out the camera and capture the moment
Was during our weekend retreats when
We threw out the showering component.
But one thing we excelled at
Was always having scrumptious food at hand.
Homemade pizza, lasagna, quesadillas,
Fresh greens, and forever DESSERT!

We’ve had our fair share of ice cream nights
Bridal showers, weddings, baby showers,
Overnighters, garage saling, walks in the park,
Serving together during Go Days,
sharing stories of child rearing,
Making 12 week Bible studies last 12 months,
And extending making decisions for as long as possible.
While we shared joys we also
experienced sorrows together including
Break ups, deaths, family issues,
Job loss, health problems, and financial concerns.
Yet through it all, we’ve loved each other
Unto the better.

I’ve discovered life happens no matter what.
Trials come. Joys come. Mundane comes.
And life is better together.
Michelle Hoffman, Michelle Ziegler,
Christin Easterhaus, Amy Johnson,
Amy Shriner, and Kari Braun,
You’ve all given me a priceless gift.
The gift of your love, your loyalty,
Your listening ears, your encouragement,
Your friendship, your hugs,
Your shoulders to cry on, your prayers,
Your wisdom, your joy, and your happiness.
I’ll forever hold you each closely to my heart
And in my prayers.

While miles may come between us,
There’s nothing that could stop the
Love and trust we’ve built these past
Several years.
I vote for Small Group Retreat 2012
to be held in Redding, California.
All in favor, say, “Aye! “

No comments:

Post a Comment