God’s been teaching me to fly by the seat of my pants over the last several months. I’m learning this isn’t just for a season – it’s something I’m adopting as a lifestyle. If you know me at all, you know flying by the seat of my pants is not second nature to me. I’ve realized that for me, it all boils down to trust. Who am I going to trust? Will I trust my well-thought-out plans? Or will I trust God who knows all, who is I AM, and who thrives in the interruptions of life? I’ve made up my mind. This is my decision. I’m moving forward free and unfettered as He’s asking me to do, living carefree in the care of God, trusting Him, my one and only constant. Why? Because He's Worthy! Will you join me in this wild and exhuberating journey?

Sunday, July 24, 2011

An Ode to WBCL

God’s fingerprints were all over my arrival at WBCL
When on the very last day of college
I was offered the Donor Relations Assistant position.
I accepted with glee in my heart and in anticipation
Of good things to come and the opportunity
To meld my skill set with God’s ministry.

Because of my youth, I was green in many ways
And alone in Fort Wayne without friends or family.
The WBCL staff was quick to take care of me.
Suddenly I gained eight “moms”
and even more “older brothers”!
Their protective nature brought much comfort
In a season of learning and uncertainty.

The family atmosphere didn’t stop with the WBCL staff though.
Oh no. It went much further than that.
I was pleasantly surprised to find
A family of WBCL listeners when out and about.

I learned the ins and outs of commercial free
Christian Radio as I worked closely with
Supporters – specifically business underwriters.
What a great crowd of generous people
And not to mention, ever so key in the ministry!

After two years of “learning the ropes”
Things started shifting and I learned of an opening
To assist with the production of Mid-Morning.
The talk show had been a WBCL favorite for me
So it was only natural to reach out and offer my help.

Transition ensued and I found my sweet spot
And only at the age of twenty-two!
The job of Mid-Morning Producer fit me to a T.
Not only did God create me with the organizational
Skill set to keep Mid-Morning running behind the scenes,
But He gave me a heart for life-long learning
And loving others through this ministry.

I grew leaps and bounds under the
Great guidance of Char and Lynne.
What a treasure trove of knowledge
These two freely gave away to me.
I’m so grateful they chose to invest in this naïve girl.


I can remember countless times I heard someone say
“That Mid-Morning program was just for me.”
I especially rejoiced when God worked to this end
Even during a Mid-Morning repeat!
What a joy and how humbling to be a part of bringing in
The best of the best Mid-Morning guests.
From local to as far away as the west coast,
We’re always blessed when a potential guest says, “yes!”

Seven years later, God’s nudge to pursue
More training in ministry
Leaves me with mixed emotions.
His fingerprints have never left me
And in fact have become even more visible
As He’s planted a new vision in me
that I’m following whole heartedly.
Why? Because even though it’s hard to say goodbye
God is so worthy and deserves all my heart.

I’ll always treasure my season at WBCL
Where many divine appointments arose
And in countless ways I grew up
from a little girl into  a young woman.
The transition is bittersweet as I leave behind
A family I dearly love, yet embrace a future
Of new ministry inspired from above.

My heart is filled with joy at how God’s hand
Has orchestrated every detail of this transition
Including the hire of WBCL’s new Mid-Morning Producer.
I met Rebekah Freelan last November.
Where? Ironically, of all places,
it was in the Mid-Morning studio!

Her depth of insight and love for Christ
Was evident as she shared thoughts from her
Christmas devotional book, “His Advent”.
A friendship with her was soon to follow.
I quickly came to love her,
as I know the WBCL family will too!
 I have a feeling that won’t be hard to do!

Goodbyes are tough to embrace
But no matter the place,
We’ll continue to share
God’s heart everywhere.              
With a grateful spirit,
You’ll always be in my prayers.

~Jamie Bennett

1 comment:

  1. How inspiring! Your love for Christ has always been motivating to me, and though, along the way i have slipped and fallen, your words have oontiued to push me through. You have come along way Jamie and I am very happy that you are spreading your wings!

    ReplyDelete